Anyway, all this premature merriment got us thinking that a lot of the other holidays are really getting lost in the hubub around this time of year. I mean, I love Christmas and can get "in the spirit of the season" as much as the next guy, but seriously, the longer it lasts, the less the holiday really means.
So, just to make sure we truly appreciate every holiday, Michelle and I have decided we are going to start celebrating the 4th of July in May. We figure Memorial Day is as good a time as any to start planning the big BBQ. It's also about the right time to start getting Carson excited about our newest (and possibly creepiest) tradition... when Uncle Sam wakes him up in the night to spread a little cheer by leaving a 12-pack of Whistling Petes and a package of hot dogs under his pillow. But to really get us in the holiday spirit, beginning on Mother's Day you will only hear the sounds of patriotic music coming from our house and cars. (Really, can anyone ever get enough of Neil Diamond's Coming to America?") We figure a quick trip to Evanston right after Easter - heck, maybe even on Easter - should give us ample ammunition to start the season off right.
But in all this celebration, we really want to focus on the real "meaning" of Independence Day - the purpose that has obviously gotten lost in all the barbeques and fireworks. So on July 3rd, everyone is invited to join us around the patio fire pit as a Betsy Ross-clad Michelle sews a 20-foot flag while I act out the signing of the Declaration of Independence. (BYOPW: Bring your own powdered wig.)
We're also looking for someone to play Uncle Sam for the kids this year. Happy Holidays.
5 comments:
Ha ha ha!! Jake - you're funny. Seriously. BYOPW! I love it. And I so agree that it only takes from the season to push it so early. It's pure selfish materialism. And seriously - don't we already spend enough money at Christmas???
Favorite.
Post.
Yet.
Laughed and laughed. You are one funny brother.
I will totally be there! Michelle as Betsy Ross will be a stunning site. Considered me RSVP's and I'll work on finding a powdered wig for Isaiah.
Very entertaining post. I think Memorial Day isn't early enough. I suggest starting your patriotic celebrations on the Monday after Easter.
Post a Comment