Little girl's dresses, row after row.
This one is darling with a pink velvet bow,
Ruffles and fluff and blue dotted swiss,
Or this one of lace for the delicate miss,
Or this little red check with the collar of white.
Black shiny shoes would make it just right!
Oh here comes a clerk,
"May I help you, please?"
"Yes, I want six pairs of boys jeans
My Grandma Wheatley wrote this poem, and it's been on my mind a lot as I have been getting ready to welcome a little boy into our family. Grandma had six boys, and I don't ever remember her saying that she wished she had a girl, but I think this poem shows that she wished she could buy some cute little dresses. I have to agree with her - no matter how cute the little boy clothes are, they can't really compare to the tiny dresses that seem to take up 3/4 of the store. I love this picture of my grandparents when they bought their first home. I'm sure Grandma thought there were some girls in her future.

Little did she know, she was in for a lot of girls when the grandkids starting arriving. Of 19 grandchildren, there were only 6 boys. I remember my mom told me once that generations have a way of evening out, and that if there are a lot of boys in one generation, it would be made up for in the next generation. I'm sure Grandma got her fill of girls at our holiday celebrations (especially since 3 of the boys lived out of state and we didn't see them very much.)
There are several trends that my cousins and I have noticed happening in the Wheatley family. One is that the oldest child in the family tends to be the shortest. Also, all of the girl cousins have married boys with names that start with the letter J. I noticed a different one recently. All of the girls cousins who have started have kids have had a boy first. Nichole had Sage, Liz had Josh, Angie had Jack, Lindsey had Tyson, and now we are expecting a boy as well. Maybe the generations do have a way of evening out the gender balance.
This is a picture of my Grandpa with his six boys taken last year. I think that Grandma would have loved to see all of the new little boys running around the house at family parties these days. After raising these ones, I'm sure she would have had some great advice on how to raise a little boy.
(Thanks to cousin Tom for making these pictures available.)
2 comments:
Love the poem!!! And love the pictures. Thanks for sharing a part of your family with us.
--Cousin David
I miss grandma wheatley so much. We have such a wonderful family. I do remember Grandma telling us how she dressed Mark or Jeff in a dress and took him to some type of church function, I think it was a roadshow or a skit of some sort. She said it was so fun to dress him up like a little girl. Can you imagine six little Josh's running around. Yikes!!! Grandma was a saint. Well, congratulations on your little boy. My husband John says that real men have boys first. Of course he said that after we were 100% sure we were having a boy first.
Post a Comment