We've told practically everyone we have seen, but if you haven't heard, cruises make just about the greatest vacation EVER. Even Michelle agrees and she puked at least 12 times the first day before we even got on the boat. After a good night's rest and hanging out with our luggage for two hours at the local Ft. Lauderdale Walgreens, she was good to go. A little tipsy, but tough enough to stick it out. Thank goodness we decided not to turn back because once we boarded the Enchantment of the Seas, all our woes were gone. Can you tell?
The first day was spent on the boat. It took about 36 hours to get to Belize, our first port of call. But a day on the boat was really fun, and very relaxing. How can you argue with a day of doing absolutely nothing? (Michelle says I could probably argue a lot. I have a hard time just sitting around.) But this was really awesome and taught me to slow down a bit and just enjoy the ride. Plus, there was food around every corner, and when your wife is pregnant, abundant food is always good. Michelle is also a fan of fine dining, so we never missed the five-course meals at dinner. You'll notice, though, that we were conveniently seated by ourselves at a table of six, so while others had to make small talk with new cruise buddies, we got to just enjoy each other and very personal service. (Actually this picture doesn't really do just to the fact that we were the only ones at our table. The people sitting behind us must have left right before we took the photo.)
The view from the top.
Michelle on her way down.
You can barely see her on the steps.


I mentioned in an earlier post that this was officially the First Annual Moon Family Cruise Vacation. As much as I wish that were true, logistically it that will be virtually impossible. Suffice it to say that the cruise vacation is by far the best vacation we have ever encountered. The accomodations are outstanding, the activies on and off shore were amazing, and the food was beyond belief. What other vacation offers free pizza and hot dogs at 10:30 p.m. one night and cookies and milk brought directly to your bed the next? While the next cruise likely won't be as soon as we'd like, the joy of a newborn will make up for the excitement, and we'll see the open seas soon enough. (Give it a year and a half :) )
Each night on the cruise, we would usually finish dinner earlier than most folks and see the entertainment for the evening. A couple of nights offered pretty good comedians and a magician, but we eventually realized the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers or not really singing at all. They were, in fact, lip synching every note. There was one part where even the audience was doing their own form of lip synching when the applause was piped through the speakers as well. The jury is still out about whether Singers and Dancers ever did any of their own dancing.
Either way, the fact that any production of that kind can take place on a boat in the middle of nowhere still baffles my mind. I was constantly blown away at the engineering marvel that is the cruise ship, and the one we were on was far from the biggest in the fleet.
Cozumel brought more relaxation and a slight sunburn. We snorkeled for the first time ever (Bear Lake doesn't count) and laid on the beach. Had we arrived at the resort a little earlier I would have likely done the dolphin experience. But a lazy day on the beach was just as good. We also took a quick spin along the main tourist drag, looking at all kinds of useless trinkets. We learned that there is something about a cruise that provokes practically everyone to buy jewelry. I even got a cheap watch on the boat. But at every port there were dozens of jewelry stores, and most of the time it was name brand, expensive stuff. I guess old folks really go for that kind of thing. One day on the boat they even advertised free gold chains with a particular purchase. It was like Mr. T had somehow taken over as the merchandising consultant. Crazy.
Key West has got to be one of the craziest little places I have ever been. I never knew a whole economy could be based on bars and t-shirt shops. But it can and is. We took the world famous Conch Train Tour, which gave us a little history of the island and breezed by the most popular sites. We can even say we saw the southernmost point in the United States... seated safely in a propane powered tour train.
Michelle also made quick friends with a couple of locals sitting outside the art museum. As much as a whistled and snapped my fingers, I never could get that guy to look at the camera.
I mentioned in an earlier post that this was officially the First Annual Moon Family Cruise Vacation. As much as I wish that were true, logistically it that will be virtually impossible. Suffice it to say that the cruise vacation is by far the best vacation we have ever encountered. The accomodations are outstanding, the activies on and off shore were amazing, and the food was beyond belief. What other vacation offers free pizza and hot dogs at 10:30 p.m. one night and cookies and milk brought directly to your bed the next? While the next cruise likely won't be as soon as we'd like, the joy of a newborn will make up for the excitement, and we'll see the open seas soon enough. (Give it a year and a half :) )
Geez. I didn't even mention the marimba band, Ben & Jerry's, blackness of the sea, fight in Key West, guy with no legs, real live pirate (not to be confused with the guy with no legs), beautiful fish, conch train driver, towel animals, carved melons, jungle creatures, river ferry, sunsets, or sea sickness...
3 comments:
Awesome! Truly awesome. That's so great you guys got to go on that cruise. I went on one when I was 10, and have ached to go back every year since then.
Here's hoping you can one day make it an annual vacation.
Your trip sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you had fun. You both deserve it! I can't wait to see more pictures.
Thanks for letting me look in on your wonderful vacation. So glad it went so well and especially that Michelle was able to enjoy it. Now let's see if you can figure out who I am. You're just one blog away on my daughter's blog:-)
Post a Comment