Monday, June 8, 2009

Update Part Two

Memorial Day weekend we took a little trip down to Moab with my parents and my sisters. We weren't sure how Carson would do since we had just returned from San Diego a few days before, but he was great. We booked a room at the last minute which we were happy about since it was a really busy weekend. However, we quickly realized that we had to pay the price for procrastinating because there was a spotlight shining directly into our window. All night long it seemed like it was the middle of the day outside. It was my first (and hopefully last) stay at a Motel 6, but we were happy to be able to be there, and I was happy to not be sleeping in a tent.

The first day we climbed up to Delicate Arch. I have hiked there several times and thought that I would probably be okay to do it even though I am quickly running out of lung capacity. I had to stop more than I would have liked to, but I made it. This hill is way steeper than it looks in the picture. On the way back down I kept thinking "I can't believe I walked up all this." Most days I can hardly make it up the stairs at my house without running out of breath. Jake also hiked with a baby on his belly, although I don't think it's quite the same when you know it is detachable. The weather was great on our hike. We got rained on a little, but it was better than scorching heat. The nice thing about it being a little rainy was that there weren't many people at the arch when we got there. We were able to take some fun pictures. We had a great time the rest of the weekend, but somehow I didn't end up with many pictures of it. We spent some time in Canyonlands, which wasn't as cool as Arches, and we drove to Dead Horse Point, which was really neat. We had a fun time and have hopefully had our fill of traveling because I am starting to wonder how I am even going to make it to the grocery store come August.

3 comments:

angie said...

I love Moab! I am very jealous. Great job on the hike, i could barely hike that when I wasn't pregnant.

Karla said...

I can't believe you hiked to the Arch!! You be careful young lady.

Laurel said...

I've hiked that arch NOT pregnant so I'm super impressed (and yes, that photo does NOT do that incline justice!)

you are just too cool...