Friday, December 19, 2008

Schoooool's Out ForEVER!

So, how about that? I did it. I actually got a Master's degree. Really, even I can't believe it. It really wasn't something that I set out to do when I started. (I mean, I didn't even know what a Master's degree was in kindergarten.)

In any case, I'm done. And, my goodness, does it feel wonderful!

When I started the degree two years and four months ago (thanks to some prodding from a favorite cousin) the main purpose was to make myself more marketable. I had realized that I needed to broaden my horizons beyond journalism and the publishing world and "Communications Management" was the next logical step. Since then, I have actually found a dream job in PR, where I basically manage communications of all sorts, so I guess it worked. But I have to admit that over the last six months or so, I have been less than enthused about finishing. I have already reached the goal of a new job so the motivation really waned. Either way, now I have a couple extra initials to put at the end of my name, and could possibly get a decent raise down the road. We'll see.

More than anything, being done means more time with the family and less worrying about the homework I have to do or the paper I have to write or the test I have to study for or the class I have to go to after work. It also means I can get down to business on about a thousand things I have been saying I will do after I'm done with school. Stuff like reading more books and fixing things around the house and exercising. No more excuses.

It also means I have a hefty loan to pay off, but that is what the raise is for, right?

4 comments:

Laurel said...

wahoooooooooooooooo for us!
I shall call you "Master Jake" forever.

- your favorite cousin
(and wahooooooooo about that too!)

Rachelle said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather said...

Congrats, Jake!

Andrew Lambert said...

What a great feeling that is! I remember how relieved I was when I finished. I still feel relieved even 18 months later...