Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag! We are so excited to become parents, especially since our journey getting there was a little difficult. Jake and I did not try to get pregnant when we first got married, much to the dismay of some people around us, but when we made that decision we expected it to come pretty easily. After all, it is just what happens. You get married, have a baby, then have another baby, and so on. I realize that for most people, this is how it works. However, when you begin to realize that it isn't going to be that easy for you, it is a painful thing. One of the worst parts was the questions that people ask."Doesn't our cute baby make you want to have one of your own?"
"Were you on birth control? That's why you can't get pregnant."
"Do you even want children?"
I realize that part of the problem was how private we were about the whole thing. Most people didn't even know that we were trying to have a baby. However, it taught me a lot of things. You never know what someone is going through, and don't assume that you know what they want. Especially being LDS, when people found out we have been married almost 5 years and don't have any kids, they can treat us like some sort of heathens. Maybe we don't understand our purpose here on Earth. Some people thought we missed that Sunday School lesson.
I found great comfort in others who were also struggling, which it turns out, is more people than you think. One person was the girl who cuts my hair. Alicia and her husband had been trying to have a baby also, and we would talk about this every time I went in. In October, she had some great news. She was pregnant! I asked her what she did differently, and she told me that she had been to a reflexologist. He did something to her feet, which in turn moved her uterus, and she was pregnant one month later. I had spent a long time listening to people's advice about how to get pregnant (get in a fight, go on vacation, just relax) but at this point I was desperate to try just about anything. As luck would have it (or as an answer to prayers, as I saw it) my mom had started going to a reflexologist a month or so before. She had a problem with her wrist that was magically healed when she went. So, I came home from my hair appointment and called my mom. I asked her to ask at her next appointment if she could help with pregnancy. My mom was going that same day. She made an appointment, and two weeks later I was waiting for my turn, trying not to get my hopes up. That was when I met Judy. She told me that sometimes there is just a little thing wrong with your body that makes it hard to get pregnant. After looking at me, she said my hips were crooked and that was the problem. She said she could fix the problem and I would be pregnant within 3 months. While this was good news, it was not something I hadn't heard before from doctors, so I was cautiously optimistic. She performed a procedure called spinal touch, which was supposed to move all of the muscles in my body back to where they were supposed to be. I left feeling a little wierd and wondering if she had really done anything. An hour later when my back was killing me and I felt like I had run a marathon, I knew she had done something. Two weeks later when I took a pregnancy test that came back positive, I was a believer. I am convinced that I would not have been able to get pregnant if it had not been for her. She did make a point of stressing to me that there are some medical conditions that she couldn't fix, so please realize that this wouldn't work for everyone. You can read more about spinal touch here or visit Judy's website here to see more about what she does.
3 comments:
I LOVE hearing this...love your insight...and that you were willing to share your experience. Too many well meaning people say things they shouldn't. Nothing like having your life turn out a little different than planned, to make you more sensitive to others in the same, but different, boat. No matter the issue.
I am SO thrilled for you guys!!!
hooray! hooray! hooray!
infertility is a bear and leaves you forever changed whether you become pregnant or not.
i am so very happy for you.
First of all, CONGRATS!! I have been married for 6 years now and have been battling infertility for the 5.5 years we have been trying. I am so thankful to hear success stories. It kind of makes me feel like there is hope for me. Thanks for your awesome story and link to the info. God bless you and your growing family!
Post a Comment